Thursday, September 04, 2008

CDR23 ASSOCIATE DEGREE SEMESTER 3

___________________________________________________________
BINDING STYLES
Left: Hickory Business Furniture Brochure. Studio: Vanderbyl Design. Designer: Michael Vanderbyl.
Right: Mark Seliger Photography. Studio: Miller/Huner. Designer: Paul Huber.

___________________________________________________________
FIRST PAGES - EDITORS, CONTRIBUTORS & CONTENTS

Editors Notes

Contributors Page

Contents Page(s)
Also known as the lowly TOC (Table of Contents) - this is the page that always gets left till last - for good reason, as you really don't know all the content until you've finished. It is the page that gets argued over most - the editor wants it closer to the front, the ad men want it further back. It's normally designed against the clock with the knowledge that no reader will spend very much time looking at your hard work.

Having said that, it is worth thinking about it ahead of time and planning what you might want to happen. A great contents page gives you a 2nd chance to reinforce the brand (after the cover) and alert the reader to some stories you didn't have a coverline for.
___________________________________________________________
CASE STUDY - Monster Children
Okay I'm just going to come out and say it - I hate Monster Children - they are just too damn good. Campbell and Chris always seem to come up with the ideas that make you just kick yourself. Obviously there is a whole team over there now but back at the start these guys just kept delivering month after month. One particular area that I used to look forward to was the contents page - every issue they did something different and really changed the way I looked at what a contents page could do. These are a few of my favourite examples from their first issues; issue 4 contents appeared on the spines of books and Issue 5 was in the form of a crossword...


...and issue 7, at this point I stopped buying the mag because it
was so upsetting,
where they produced a library card, with brown
paper pocket/envelope stuck in and all.

___________________________________________________________
EXAMPLES
Frankie - nice columns and grid. Things that...

Esquire always spends quite a bit of time on their contents, often producing unique illustrations.

Step Magazine change it up a year later.

Juxtapoz with full bleed images.

Russh collage of images and columned text.

STAB different every issue.

Forget what this is from, designed by Greg Lynn.


Grafik - old and new. Used to be all on the cover, now it sits on a flap inside.

Wired changes each issue, same sub-heads and body copy fonts.

Dumbo Feather - full page summaries.

___________________________________________________________
INSPIRATION & EXTRAS

Each week I throw up things I find that relate to what we've been discussing or working on that week. Sometimes it might be things that relate to your major assessment and sometimes just stuff I thought was worth seeing. If you find something you think we should be showing or something we just have to see let us know in class or throw an email over to me at matt@billyblue.com.au and I'll get it up here or on the Bluni inspiration site.
___________________________________________________________
Rio Ferdinand's 5

Pretty impressed with this new online magazine launched by no other than Man Utd’s Rio Ferdinand. Just love the way that you can include videos and make it so interactive. Is this the future of magazines? It's not a bad alternative to print, the zoom in tool works well and I think the fact that you can add in links just makes a much deeper experience for the reader. I'm a fan.

___________________________________________________________
Designing Magazines
Nice little article by Jandos Rothstein - check it out here

___________________________________________________________
More examples
DB - simple

Big Issue.

Vice - simple with use of dots.

Wallpaper - all about the image.